11/09/2011

Coca Cola: visual history of bottle


In 1899, Coca Cola was sold in Hutchinson bottles which were stoppered with cork plugs on top. In 1916, the contour bottle designed by Earl R. Dean was introduced which served as the basis for future Coke bottle bodies. Dean describes the creative process for designing the contour bottle thusly:
"The question came up as to what Coca-Cola was made of. Mr. Root had his chauffeur, Roy Grimsly, take T.C. Edwards and me to the Fairbanks Library to see what we could find. It so happened we found in a book of reference, an article and a very good illustration of a pod that contributes to the flavor of Coca-Cola.
I was very much interested in the shape of the pod. It had a very short neck at the stem end and the body had four different diameters and vertical ribs which I incorporated into my first drawing to show Mr. Root the next morning. Mr. Root was well pleased and asked me if I could get a mold made in time to get a few sample bottles made before the fire went out, which would be 12:00 noon on the last working day of June. I told him that I would do the best I could."

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento